Sunday, January 24, 2016

When you want something, Ask me


"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."
Matt: 7: 7


Sometime back, I heard my younger daughter letting out frustrated sounds in her room as she was playing with her toys while I was busy folding clothes. I went to have a look and I found her on the floor, trying to close a box that she had filled to the brim with all her play kitchen toys. Clearly the box was too full to be closed. She was trying so hard, and since she could not close it, with every effort at it, she grew more frustrated and soon was in tears. I asked her what she wanted, but she just kept crying. 


Although I knew exactly why she was crying, I wanted her to get into the habit of coming to me with her problems so she would learn that I was always there, ready to help her. So I continued to ask her until she finally told me that she wanted me to help her close the box. Then I went in, sat next to her and explained to her that the box was too full. Then we took out a few toys and then she tried closing it again. Her success this time around brought a huge smile to her face. Then I told her that whenever she wanted something, she should ask me.


This led me to thinking about myself. How often have I struggled with some things this way, without taking it to the savior at the onset? I have to confess that I have done this many times! I struggle with problems, trying to come up with solutions, spend time trying to talk to people about things, and yes, even google it, before doing the one thing I should actually do - get down on my knees and take it to Jesus. 


It's not like He doesn't know what I am facing, but it is just that He wants me to go to Him so I can learn that He is there, and He is able! Nothing is too hard for Him, and being the creator of this entire universe, who better to know how to handle it than Him! It pleases Him more than anything else to know that His children trust Him and readily go to Him. As this lesson is sinking in, I have grown to go to the Lord FIRST more and more. I do confess that I still sometimes forget and panic, but God gently reminds me that He is there and He will take care. Go to Him! He is able and He WILL help you.

3 comments:

  1. So true Sheena. Thanks for reminding us of the basics-SEEKING HIS FACE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a Friend we have in Jesus,
      All our sins and griefs to bear!
    What a privilege to carry
      Everything to God in prayer!
    O what peace we often forfeit,
      O what needless pain we bear,
    All because we do not carry
      Everything to God in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you anna. Praise the Lord that He is there ALWAYS.

    ReplyDelete